Friday, October 23, 2009

One of those days...

It seems more often than not these days I have a million and 1 things on my plate. Most of those things are business related and should stay at the office, but when you run your own business you never really leave your office. At home, at the grocery store, at Jared's football games - at least part of my mind is still "at the office".
I love what I do, though I haven't always. When I was in High School and aspiring to get enough money to put gas in the uber cool sports car my parents bought during an obvious lapse of sanity - working with my dad on the weekends was simply a means to a speeding down the interstate end. When I was in college aspiring to a career in Criminal Justice (and breaking a ridiculous number of laws) - working with my dad during the summers was a means to a Tastes Great, Less Filling end. When I had given up on my crime fighting career and aspired to find myself, working with my dad was simply to put a roof over my head and food (too much apparently) in my belly. Sometime after that, I can't put a finger on exactly when, I realized this is what I am going to do, forever and I'm okay with that. Heck I am more than okay with that - I really dig what I do!
That said - there is always too much to do.
I always feel like I don't spend enough time with my boys, with my husband, with my dog, with that great book that I am so anxious to finish, with starting a scrapbook for my already 2 year youngest son.
Sometimes I just work and work until I am too sick to work anymore - although this rarely happens because I refuse to admit that I am sick (and I usually refuse to quit working).
Sometimes I work and work until my husband has that certain look in his eye when I come home and crawl in to bed at 4:00 in the morning. I usually vow then and there to slow down - until my alarm goes off at 6:00 and I get up to go at it again.
Sometimes I work and work until I feel so empty and sad and alone that my chest feels heavy with the weight of it all and I think maybe if I just sat down and cried for awhile some of that weight might lift off and make it easier to breathe.

We are moving the company to a new office in the next week or so - don't get me started on how the general contractor is 3 months late on getting me in there. I have 3 big projects going on locally right now and all scheduled for completion at the same time, along with normal service and maintenance calls, a hugetastic project kicking off in Florida and basically a total revamp of the entire company.
Basically it makes me want to throw up every time I think about it.

And just when I think I should just sit down and I cry - I run across something like this and I sit down and smile instead...


No comments:

Post a Comment