Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fruits of our Labor

Although the hubby and I are taking a Texas Master Gardeners Class - we are by no means master gardeners.  We are working together and learning daily how to help the soil work for us.  That said, in the past month or two, after the blessed rains brought us some much needed relief from the worst drought since 1894, we have benefited from the occasional zucchini and some serious jungle growth.

And while even the occasional small zucchini is enough to give us a rush of pride - tonight's harvest was enough to push us over the edge!  Enough to play a big roll in our dinner preparation and a big roll in our dinner conversation.

A beautiful green bell pepper to flavor our chicken and rice.




And more than enough zucchini to toss together with some garlic and olive oil.




Half of the dinner I served my family tonight came from my backyard.  It got its water from myself or my husband or one of the boys.  We watched for pests and pruned as needed.  We pulled the weeds and fed the soil.  And at the end of the day we made a damn good - if not very exciting - meal, and that feels better than I ever thought it could.

A day marred with the blahs, sitting in training that was less than satisfactory was pulled up by it's bootstraps and marched to the front of the stage to take one hell of a bow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! :) <3 I'm glad I could give you a laugh today, so thank you.

    My aunt is a Master Gardener, and I don't think I could ever do it. I'm a total brown thumb. I wish I could grow my own veggies!!

    ~Jenn (Ex Hot Girl)

    ReplyDelete