Friday, September 18, 2009

Shawn Phillips

A million years ago, when my mother still believed she was beautiful and her heart was still open and the only thing that weighed her down was an excess of love beads - she found Shawn Phillips. She found him and she kept him in her heart for so many years. And she played his music and danced to his rhythm and sung his praises..and I, I rolled my eyes and threw my head back in disdain and asked her to please, PLEASE put something else on.
Then one day I met the love of my life, and eventually I decided to marry that love and when that beautiful day plays in my mind I hear Shawn Phillips in the background. I don't even think a single Shawn Phillips song was sung that day, but in my head it streams in the background, just under all the other sounds and it lifts up my heart.
On days like today when my heart is heavy and my breathing deep. When I am anticipating change and beauty and strife and celebration I am drawn to Shawn Phillips and I thank the beautiful, love-filled hippie that my mother once was for carrying that in her heart and passing it on to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment