Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pride

My husband and I are attending classes in order to become Texas Master Gardeners - I was a little surprised he agreed to go, but it turns out he is really enjoying himself!  That said, last night was our turn to bring eats and drinks for snack time - and in a class where even at 34 and 28 we are the youngest folks I was rightfully nervous.  I have to admit, sometimes i still feel like I am just a punk kid still in my early twenties so my need to prove myself was great.  Without going in to too much detail, and without admitting to spending an hour at World Market "mocking up" my bowls, napkins and mats and another 30 minutes at home doing a full dress rehearsal - I have to toot my own horn and say that it went off without a hitch!  Not only without a hitch, but swimmingly, absolutely swimmingly.  All of the older folks, whose disdain I feared - had nothing but good to say!  In fact when our fearless gardening leader asked for volunteers to sign up for the weeks to come someone said, "I volunteer whoever brought the snacks tonight!"
I know it's silly, but that young punk kid inside of me really needed all the reassurance and kind words from my "elders" last night - it really was good for my soul.


 On a different note - yesterday was also our anniversary - 3 years of marriage, although we've been together for more than twice that.  We didn't go out to a fancy dinner and he didn't buy me a dozen roses, we went to gardening class together to learn about herbs and he grinned with pride at how well received my "meat-cicles" were and laughed at me for going through so much fuss and I remembered why I love him just a little bit more with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment